Wednesday 24 June 2020

Bletchley Park and codebreaking

Husbands, sons and boyfriends are impossible to buy presents for but I had a brainwave when I was thinking of a present for my husband this year. I decided to get him the Bletchley Park Brainteasers book to challenge him in a different way from his daily work! I don't think he appreciated the challenge as it has been sitting on the coffee table since his birthday in April! So, this week, I decided to have a go at the first problem which is the crossword that secretly tested people in 1942. If they could do it in less than 12 minutes, then they received a letter asking them to join the war effort at Bletchley Park and become a Codebreaker.
So far, I have got about 4 clues correct and taken 3 days....I don't think I am a very good codebreaker!
However, playing word games is fun so I have found some interactive sites where you can try your codebreaking skills in English!
1. gamestolearnenglish.com
This game is for Phrasal Verbs which you probably know make up a huge part of the English vocabulary and are tricky things to learn
An explanation of Phrasal Verbs in French if you happen to be a French speaker:
There are other games on that website too so have a look around.
2. British Council learnenglishteens
A lot of games here need Flash Player but this one worked fine for me without. It was challenging though!
3. Brain Pages
This is generally code-breaking related but as codes and words are related then it's a good place to challenge the language part of your brain!
Can you do this puzzle based on one from the Bletchley Park Brainteasers book?
A king of a land far away was planning a day out in the hills. He wanted to bring some guests and after looking through his contacts list chose his father's brother-in-law, his brother's father-in-law, his father-in-law's brother, and his brother-in-law's father. How many people do you think will join him as a guest?
Post your answers in comments!
And finally, have you seen The Imitation Game?
It is about Bletchley Park and Alan Turing played by actor Benedict Cumberbatch. Watch in the Original Version for some beautiful English accents - there is a link to the trailer below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bletchley Park and codebreaking

Husbands, sons and boyfriends are impossible to buy presents for but I had a brainwave when I was thinking of a present for my husband th...